13 Wonderful Ways to Use Epsom Salts
Growing up, Epsom Salt was a staple item in our medicine cabinet. Mom was old school, no matter what the problem was outside of a broken bone.. You were instructed to soak in Epsom Salt and lay down. I remember after giving birth to my daughter, here come mom with her zip loc bag of Epsom Salt to the hospital- she demanded that I soak.. I was VERY hesitant-but I complied and GUESS WHAT? the soreness.. aches.. and pain.. went away.. Mama always knew best 🙂 Listed below are some NEW and OLD school uses for Epsom Salt (which can be purchased at you local drug store or retailer such as Walmart or target)
* Relaxing and Sedative Bath – Soak in warm water and 2 cups of Epsom Salt.
* Face Cleaner – To clean your face at night, mix a half-teaspoon of Epsom Salt with your regular cleansing cream. Just massage into skin and rinse with cold water.
* Homemade Skin Mask – Apply the mask to damp skin. For normal to oily skin, mix 1 tablespoon of cognac, 1 egg, 1/4 cup of nonfat dry milk, the juice of 1 lemon, and a half-teaspoon of Epsom Salt. For normal to dry skin mix 1/4 cup of grated carrot, 1 1/2 teaspoons of mayonnaise and a half-teaspoon of Epsom Salt.
* Foot Soak – Soothe aches, remove odors, and soften rough skin with a foot soak. Add 1/2 cup of Epsom Salt to a large pan of warm water. Soak feet for as long as it feels right. Rinse and dry.
* Skin Exfoliator – Massage handfuls of Epsom Salt over your wet skin, starting with your feet and continuing up towards the face. Have a bath to rinse.
* Remove Excess Oil from Hair – Epsom Salt soaks up excess oil from hair. Add 9 tablespoons of Epsom Salt to 1/2 cup of oily hair shampoo. Apply one tablespoon of the liquid to your hair when it is dry; rinse with cold water. Pour lemon juice or organic apple cider vinegar through the hair, leave on for 5-10 minutes, and then rinse.
* Hairspray – Combine 1 gallon of water, 1 cup of lemon juice, and 1 cup Epsom Salt. Combine, cover, and let set for 24 hours. The next day, pour the mixture into your dry hair and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then shampoo as normal.
* Hair Volumizer – Combine equal parts of deep conditioner and Epsom Salt. Warm in a pan. Work the warm mixture through your hair and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse.
* Soak Sprains and Bruises – Epsom Salt will reduce the swelling of sprains and bruises. Add 2 cups Epsom Salt to a warm bath, and soak.
* Splinter Remover – Soak in Epsom Salt, it will draw out the splinter.