Drink Green Tea
Green tea keeps you hydrated, as does water, but here’s the difference: Tea is brimming with good-for-you flavonoids. So fill a big thermos with green tea in the morning, and sip it all day — hot at first, over ice later, if you like. Start today, and continue drinking green tea every day for the rest of the week.
1. Cut Your Cancer Risk Several polyphenols — the potent antioxidants that green tea is famous for — seem to help keep cancer cells from gaining a foothold in the body by discouraging growth and then suppressing the creation of new blood vessels that tumors need to thrive. Study after study has found that regularly drinking green tea reduces the risk of breast, stomach, esophagus, colon, and prostate cancer.
2. Soothe Your Skin Got a cut, scrape, or bite, and a little leftover green tea? Soak a cotton ball in it. The tea is a natural antiseptic that relieves itching and swelling. Try it on inflamed blemishes, sunburns, or puffy eyelids. But that’s not all. Green tea has been shown to help block sun-triggered skin cancer, whether you drink it or apply it directly to the skin — which is why you’re seeing green tea in more and more sunscreens and moisturizers.
3. Steady Your Blood Pressure Having healthy blood pressure — meaning below 120/80 — is one thing. Keeping it that way is quite another. But people who sip just half a cup of green tea a day are almost 50% less likely to wind up with hypertension than nondrinkers. Credit goes to the polyphenols again (especially one known as ECGC); they help keep blood vessels from contracting and raising blood pressure.
4. Protect Your — or Your Mom’s — MemoryGreen tea may also keep the brain from turning fuzzy. Getting-up-there adults who drink at least two cups a day are half as likely to develop cognitive problems as those who drink less. Why? It appears that the tea’s big dose of antioxidants fights the free-radical damage to brain nerves seen in Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
5. Stay Young The younger and healthier your arteries are, the younger and healthier you are. So fight plaque buildup in your blood vessels; the sticky stuff increases the risk of heart disease and stroke, adds years to your RealAge, and saps your energy. How much green tea does this vital job take? About 10 ounces a day, which also deters your body from absorbing artery-clogging fat and cholesterol.
6. Lose Weight Oh yeah, one more thing. Turns out that green tea speeds up your body’s calorie-burning process. In the every-little-bit-counts department, that’s good news!
Go Outside, Take In Nature
Spend at least 20 minutes outside today — and over the next 6 days — soaking in some “vitamin G” (for green). Mother Nature can be extremely therapeutic, and the fresh air will do you — and your skin — a world of good. Walk this way to chase away stress.
And remember to keep doing the activities from Day 1 and Day 2 — relax and simplify.
Beauty Bonus: A Cleopatra Beauty Tip
Try a luxurious milk bath tonight as part of your unwind routine: Add 2 to 4 cups of whole milk to a warm bath, and soak for 20 minutes. Then, give your body a loofah or washcloth scrub. Follow that with a rinse, a gentle dry down, and an all-over moisturizer application. Ahhhh, that’s better
The information included on this blog is for educational purposes only. It is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. The reader should always consult his or her healthcare provider to determine the appropriateness of the information for their own situation or if they have any questions regarding a medical condition or treatment plan.